Allergies are no joke. My little one has a peanut, egg, and dairy allergy. Knowing how to use an EpiPen is necessary. I have taught many family members and friends how to use an EpiPen. Teaching them myself has eased some of my anxieties, especially if they are watching my LO.
It is vital to know how to use an EpiPen properly. Below I will explain how to use one with a diagram and a short video at the end. After reading this you will confidently know to to use one!
**This post contains affiliate links that help me run my blog, if you deiced to buy something you will not be charged extra**
**Please read the disclaimer**
When should I use an EpiPen?
They are used for severe life threatening allergic reactions!
- Swollen tongue or lips
- Skin that is swelling or begins to itch
- Tightness of throat, hoarse/scratchy throat, drooling
- Fainting, lightheaded, or low blood pressure
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
- Cough that will not stop
How to use an EpiPen step by step
If you have the brand name, remember, BLUE TO THE SKY, ORANGE TO THE THIGH.
- Take the EpiPen out of the clear plastic tube and take off the blue safety piece
- Place orange end hard into the thigh (this can go through clothing!) and hold until you hear a click. Hold in place for 3 seconds to make sure all the medication was given
- After 3 seconds remove epipen and massage injection site for ten seconds and CALL 911!!!
Bring the used EpiPen with you to the ER.
Watch this video for more information!