Safe sleep is a top concern for new parents! Following the below can help reduce the risk of SIDS and Suffocation. All recommendations come from the AAP (American Academy of Pediatrics)
I know it was a top concern for me, but if you follow the AAP recommendations it should help ease your mind.
**This post contains affiliate links that help me run my blog, if you deiced to buy something you will not be charged extra**
**Please read the disclaimer**
The ABCs of safe sleep
A. Alone. This means no pillows, bumpers, stuff animals, or blankets. Use a sleep sack instead of a blanket. I personally recommend sleep sacs. They come in cotton and fleece.
B. Back to sleep! Baby should always be placed on his or her BACK on a FIRM surface.
C. In a crib. Baby should be in the same room as you, but in a separate crib or bassinet. The American Academy of Pediatrics recommends that an infant sleep in the same room as you for 6 months.
Let me get back to those sleep sacs. They are amazing. Some have swaddles, while others don’t. My kiddo didn’t like to be swaddled (I know odd) so I ended up buying the ones without the swaddle. They have light weight ones and heavier ones for the colder months. I swear by them and used them for over a year!
Once your kiddo is rolling over it is NOT recommended to swaddle!
More Safe Sleep Tips
- Place baby in a smoke free environment
- Baby should be on his/her back alone in a crib in the same room as you
- Don’t overdress or under dress your baby – keep in mind the temperature
- Offer a pacifier, it has been known to reduce the risk of SIDS
- Keep the crib at least 3 feet away from windows, window coverings, baby monitors or décor
When Buying a Crib
- Check CPSC.gov or keepingbabiessafe.org to check if the crib model has been recalled
- According to the American Academy of Pediatrics (AAP), the crib slats or bar should be no more than 2 3/8 inches apart and the top of the crib rail should be at least 26 inches from the top of the mattress
- Use a firm mattress, no more than two finger widths between the crib and mattress